Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
A race that consists of three main sports namely running, swimming, and biking, triathlon has earned its irreplaceable spot in the sports industry and hearts of numerous active individuals. It can be totally grueling depending on its designated length but it is very rewarding that once you try it, you surely will crave for some more.
A famous gadget that every athlete is going crazy over is a GPS watch. Runners, swimmers, and cyclists usually have it and triathletes consider it as a valuable tool in their everyday training for that big day. A GPS triathlon watch should not necessarily be expensive but is very valuable for every athlete! See below our overview of GPS watches that are ideal for triathlon athletes:
What is a Triathlon GPS Watch?
A triathlon GPS watch is basically a multisport watch that has functions for more than two sports in a continuous manner. Most professional triathlon athletes consider a GPS watch as part of their essential tri gear. They can track distance, time, determine your location, measure the calories, your speed and everything else you need to know about three sports specifically running, swimming, and biking.
To know more of the great benefits of a triathlon GPS watch and why it has become a must-have gadget for every triathlete out there, check this quick list.
- It helps quantify the training right from day 1.
- You can easily track your progress.
- You get a better hold of the training intensity that you should be on for a certain length of time.
- It gives you better control intensity especially in a race.
- It helps triathletes avoid undertraining or overtraining.
- You can better execute your intended race strategy.
- You can assess and/or study your training and determine where you need to work more or less.
- You can easily see your route giving you a superior view of what lies ahead.
- You can map the training that you have done in your computer afterwards and study it.
The Four Main Questions
If chosen properly, a triathlon GPS watch can very well be the best tool (other than your body of course) that can significantly enhance your training. However, with the numerous brands and models of these multisport watches available in the market today, it can be quite confusing to find “the one.”
To help you with your quest on finding the best triathlon GPS watch, we have put together the best questions to ask yourself before making a purchase.
How often do you plan to use the GPS watch?
This question could also translate to how serious you are with your triathlon training and dreams. Basically, there are budget triathlon GPS watches that costs anywhere from as low as $100 to as high as $500 and up. Do you plan to join every triathlon? Or do you plan to proceed with your training even if you have no clear plans of joining a triathlon yet?
Depending on your answer to this question, you will know if you should invest on something really worth it and will suit for a longer length of time or if it is just a one or two time use. If you want real value for your money, then look for a GPS watch that has a bit more features than the basic ones. Durability is another major factor to consider, again, depending on your plans.
Do you plan on using it for any other sport?
It is a known fact that triathletes simply have great love for sports. With this being said, think of what other kinds of sports do you plan to do in the future other than, of course, running, biking, and swimming.
Given that a triathlon GPS watch is a multitasking watch, it can usually track just about any outdoor sport. However, if you have any specific sport in mind, you better think of it before making any purchase. This will enable you to pick the GPS watch that will not only serve your triathlon needs but your other choice of sports as well.
What is your budget?
We all want the best especially if it is for triathlon. You will be giving it your all in training so you might as well have the best gadget available, right? This would have been easy if budget is out of the question.
But since budget is always a factor in every purchase, know your budget and pick out the best on in your budget range. To give you a clue, the ones in the $250 range can probably do you good with ample features for your triathlon needs.
Are there any specific features that you want?
Being a triathlete, you probably have features that you would like to be in your GPS watch. List them down and do some research on the internet about the leading brands and models of multisport GPS watches today. While doing this, you might also want to check out the various reviews to know real consumer experiences.
To give you an idea of what features to look for, here is a helpful list:
- Waterproof: Since the triathlon is a combination of swimming, running and cycling, the GPS watch should be waterproof. You don’t want to put your watch on or off during the event!
- Battery Life: You need a longer battery life especially for triathlons. If the most basic GPS watch that you used way back when you were just running or cycling last for 8 hours, you have to make sure that the one you are going to get can go even longer.
- Screen Size: The bigger the screen is always better. A big screen will never go in your way when training but it can give you facts and numbers easier. However, you still have to put weight into consideration if you are particular about that.
- Built-in Sensors: Make sure that there is altimeter. Some even come with a thermometer though this is not really a necessity even for triathletes.
- Data Tracking: You need to have accurate measurements on distance, speed, pace, elevation, calories, count swim strokes and laps, measure vertical speed, and even heart rate if it comes with a heart rate sensor.
- Training Tools: Would you believe that there are triathletes who do not always seek the help of a professional trainer? Yes, they do their own training maps and plan their workouts with the help of some training tools.
- Multisport Tracking: This is extremely valuable as you can track your progress through the daily training measurements. One can transfer all these to the computer and then decide the next step to take with regards to the training.
A great triathlon GPS watch is the one that will give you the most bang for your buck. Know which one works for you and the one you feel most comfortable to work with and you just might have found your triathlon training partner.
Triathlonomatic.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and other international Amazon websites.