A bike resistance trainer or indoor bike trainer is a type of training equipment which allows users to ride a bike while it remains immobile. This particular gear is used for warm-up routines before a race or used if one can’t ride outside due to unfavorable weather in autumn or winter.
This training equipment is beneficial for enthusiastic cyclists since it makes them gain more biking skills and strength in an efficient manner without the usual hassles of outdoor biking. For example, the bike resistance trainer can conjure up any size or gradient of steep terrain like hills if the user wants to try out hill training.
Several indoor bike trainer models come with (ANT+) sensors that can keep an eye on the performance of the rider. Its metrics include factors like heart rate, cadence to virtual speed among others. Studying those elements can assist in regulating and improving the training of the cyclist.
|$||Magnetic||* Five resistance settings|
* Quiet design
* Low noise
* Easy fold for travel and storage
* Heavy duty steel frame
* Very affordable
|Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 Fluid Trainer|
|$$$||Fluid||* Quiet, smooth, progressive resistance precisely replicates outdoor ride feel|
* The most reliable fluid trainer available
* Fully assembled
* Pairs with Kinetic inRide Watt Meter for power training
* Unmatched stability and durability with a lifetime warranty
|Kreitler Alloy Roller Set|
|$$$||Roller||* 100-Percent Made in the USA|
* Available in various drum diameters (4.5-Inch, 3.0-Inch, 2.25-Inch) and all are 15-Inch wide
* The Killer Headwind fan is a great add-on that features adjustable resistance and a cooling breeze; The fan unit can be rotated to point the airflow low or high
* Includes belt
|CycleOps PowerBeam Pro ANT+|
|$$$$||Magnetic||* ANT+, Electronic resistance unit allows for programmable workouts|
* Noise level at 20 mph is a quiet 69-70 decibels
* fold-flat design
* Single-leg leveling adjustment allows for easy adjustment on uneven surfaces
* Made in Madison, WI, USA
* Lifetime warranty
|CycleOps Wind Indoor Bicycle Trainer|
|$$||Wind||* Steady, progressive wind resistance|
* Vortex blade design generates progressive resistance
* Die-cast zinc fan blades double as a heavy flywheel
* Change resistance by shifting gears
|AccelaVelo Roller Pro-X-Trainer Indoor Bike Trainer|
|$$||Roller||* Precise: Fiber reinforced composite frame designed to not lose shape and precision over time like metal frames.|
* Smooth: 3-1/2" wide dynamically balanced rollers with sealed roller ball bearings. Durable elastomer belt for quiet and consistent drive.
* Adjustable: 10 increments of adjustability for the front wheel and back wheel. Designed to accomodate wheelbases from 37" up to 44-1/4" (112.4cm).
* Compact: Double hinged design allows trainer to fold flat. Only 26-1/4" x 19" x 8-1/4" folded, and 55" total length unfolded.
* Warranty: 5 year warranty included
|RAD Cycle Products Indoor Magnetic Bicycle Trainer|
|$||Magnetic||* Folds Easily For Storage or Transport|
* Front Wheel Anti Slip Pad is INCLUDED
* Easy set-up
* Very affordable
|CycleOps Fluid2 Indoor Trainer|
|$$$||Fluid||* Best selling trainer on the market|
* Built with 100% recyclable, non-rusting materials
* Made in the USA
* Made from rugged 2-inch round 16-gauge steel
* Comes with a lifetime warranty from cycleOps
* Adjustable footpads for a stable ride on most surfaces
|Kinetic Fluid Trainer Road Machine Smart with InRide Sensor|
|$$$||Fluid||* inRide sensor included|
* Measures power, speed, cadence, distance and more
* Fluid Resistance Mirrors Outdoor Riding
* Durability due to tig welded, powder coated steel
* lifetime warranty
|CycleOps JetFluid Pro Trainer|
|$$$||Fluid||* New yolk design is stiffer and keeps flywheel cooler|
* Using provided skewer combined with unique self centering bike attachment head, setup adjustments are not required
* Legs lock into position for security and stability
* Unit folds even flatter than previous unit for storage under a bed
* Clutch knob for consistent resistance unit tension every time
|Bike Lane Pro Trainer Bicycle Indoor Trainer Exercise Machine|
|$||Magnetic||* Quiet internal magnet |
* Light and can be folded down for travel and storage
* Maximum Stability
* Extra Durable
* Front wheel riser block included
|Elite Arion Mag Home Trainer|
|$$$||Roller||* Parabolic roller units enhance stability and feel and are safer than standard rollers|
* Magnetic resistance unit allows greater training variety
* Folding design allows for easy storage at home or in your car
* Built in step for easy rider mount and dismount
* Sealed bearings are smooth and durable
Below is a list of factors you must first consider before buying your own gear.
Indoor Bike Trainer Tips
Avid cyclists know that bad weather can be a hindrance to their hobby or routine rides. With the bike resistance trainer, one can easily set it up, customize the settings and go to town. It’s practically portable as well so you can store it up after finishing your routine.
Cyclists who are fond of entering competitions will benefit greatly from the indoor bike trainer because it will keep them in optimum racing form. It is also a handy device for people who want to lose some pounds although you might better opt for a home trainer, treadmill or elliptical trainer.
However, an indoor bike trainer has its disadvantages as well. Using it solely for your training will not enhance your balance (except when you use the roller type of resistance biker trainers), which is important when it comes to bicycle training so in order to accomplish your training goals, make sure that you have an array of rollers to give the training some variety.
Bike resistance trainers can also do some damage on your bicycle; the wheels have to be fastened in place and this can harm its frame and the rear tire can wear through faster as its gets into contact with the same surface over and over for a long period of time. To avoid this, make sure that you steadfastly use inexpensive tires if you want to train at home instead of the usual tires you use for outdoor biking or competitions. There are special resistance trainer tires available. Just check your local bike shop.
Disadvantages and all, it is recommended for beginners who want to enhance their skills whenever there’s zero chances of training outdoors. Regular cyclists can reap its benefits as well just as long as they combine the equipment with training done with rollers. Pro bikers probably already understand the full advantages of the bike resistance trainers since they can fully improve during indoor training and increase their whole training program.
Other factors to consider:
Wind-based models can be noisy so if you want to train late at night or early in the morning and you share a house with other people, better choose a model that gives off minimal or no noise at all.
Prices are a huge factor when it comes to decisions, so choose the best brand that you can get. Usually the wind-based models are way more affordable, the fluid types the most expensive.
Are you the type who likes variations in terms of resistance? All models can be set accordingly but the best kinds are the fluid and magnetic models.
Usually, the most expensive ones often last the longest, so if you are ready for that kind of investment and want to use your equipment on a regular basis, go ahead. This is after all, gear that will bring make you reach your fitness or competition goals.
Types of Bike Resistance Trainers
It has a magnetic flywheel to make a stationary resistance thus the user’s pedaling will not go faster as his or her pace builds up. You have to adjust its settings or shift gears though if you wish to enhance the ride.
It’s quiet and affordable and can be fine-tuned manually to mimic types of terrain or intervals. the bike resistance trainers with magnetic flywheel are currently the most commonly used indoor bike trainers.
The back wheel of the bicycle controls a fan which in turn, gives resistance. Pedaling harder means you will be provided increased resistance.
Usually recommended for beginners, it is a gear that will help you when it comes to endurance training. It can be noisy though and offers few or even no adjustments at all.
It contains material usually in the form of silicon which provides a boosted resistance as the cyclist pedals more rapidly. It is often chosen by riders because of its great features, specifically its precise replications of rides. The many ride simulations it offers practically need no modifications.
It is more expensive as compared with other models. It gets hot with frequent usage.
This is a model featuring 3 cylinders wherein the bike is placed. Competitive and professional cyclists often use this platform to keep their game in tiptop condition. It can copy outdoor riding flawlessly and can work out a biker’s pedal strokes better than any kind of model.
It is quite challenging though so it’s not recommended for entry-level cyclists.
If you’re a beginner to indoor bike training, you need some additional gear. Sold separately, these additions can beef up your indoor bike training.
Early tire wear can be attributed to bike trainer use so heavy users are recommended to change their road-use or competition-ready tires with special bike resistance trainer tires.
It is used to catch the rider’s sweat as it drips down while training. It is placed under the bike.
Your sweat can be harsh to your bike just so you know, and this accessory protects the frame and parts of your ride as you undergo extensive training.
Basically, this is used to level the bicycle for a more organic riding stance. If you want to simulate the feel of hill training, there are stackable models available to accomplish this.
Triathlonomatic.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and other international Amazon websites.